- [$] NFS: the new millennium
The network filesystem (NFS) protocol has been with us for nearly 40 years.While defined initially as a stateless protocol, NFS implementations havealways had to manage state, and that need has been increasingly built intothe protocol over success…
- 2 days ago 24 Jun 22, 1:47pm -
- Security updates for Friday
Security updates have been issued by Fedora (ntfs-3g and ntfs-3g-system-compression), SUSE (389-ds, chafa, containerd, mariadb, php74, python3, salt, and xen), and Ubuntu (apache2).
- 2 days ago 24 Jun 22, 1:03pm -
- DeVault: GitHub Copilot and open source laundering
Drew DeVault takesissue with GitHub's "Copilot" offering and the licensing issues that it raises:GitHub’s Copilot is trained on software governed by these terms,and it fails to uphold them, and enables customers to accidentallyfail to upho…
- 3 days ago 23 Jun 22, 4:19pm -
- [$] Whatever happened to SHA-256 support in Git?
The news has been proclaimedloudly and often: the SHA-1 hash algorithm is terminally broken and shouldnot be used in any situation where security matters. Among other things,this news gave some impetus to the longstandingeffort to support a more…
- 3 days ago 23 Jun 22, 1:50pm -
- Security updates for Thursday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (chromium, firejail, and request-tracker4), Fedora (ghex, golang-github-emicklei-restful, and openssl1.1), Oracle (postgresql), Scientific Linux (postgresql), Slackware (openssl), SUSE (salt and tor), and U…
- 3 days ago 23 Jun 22, 12:31pm -
- [$] LWN.net Weekly Edition for June 23, 2022
The LWN.net Weekly Edition for June 23, 2022 is available.
- 4 days ago 23 Jun 22, 12:21am -
- Wielaard: Sourceware – GNU Toolchain Infrastructure roadmap
Mark Wielaard writesabout improvements at Sourceware, the site that holds the repositoryfor many projects in the GNU toolchain and beyond.Although email based git workflows are great for real patchdiscussions, they do not always make tracking…
- 4 days ago 22 Jun 22, 8:21pm -
- [$] Introducing PyScript
- 4 days ago 22 Jun 22, 6:21pm -
- Four stable kernel updates
The5.18.6,5.15.49,5.10.124, and5.4.200stable kernel updates have been released; each contains another set ofimportant fixes.
- 4 days ago 22 Jun 22, 2:29pm -
- Security updates for Wednesday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (exo and ntfs-3g), Fedora (collectd, golang-github-cli-gh, grub2, qemu, and xen), Red Hat (httpd:2.4, kernel, and postgresql), SUSE (drbd, fwupdate, neomutt, and trivy), and Ubuntu (apache2, openssl, openss…
- 4 days ago 22 Jun 22, 1:43pm -