- Arch Linux drops Python 2
Arch Linux has announcedthat Python 2 is being removed from the distribution's repositories."If you still require the python2 package you can keep it around, butplease be aware that there will be no security updates."
- 2 days ago 23 Sep 22, 3:06pm -
- [$] BPF as a safer kernel programming environment
For better or worse, C is the lingua franca in the world of kernelengineering. The core logic of the Linux kernel is written entirely inC (with a bit of assembly), as are its drivers and modules. While C isrightfully celebrated forits powerful ye…
- 2 days ago 23 Sep 22, 2:50pm -
- Three new stable kernels
The 5.19.11, 5.15.70, and 5.10.145 stable kernels are now available. Asusual, they contain important fixes throughout the kernel tree.
- 2 days ago 23 Sep 22, 2:09pm -
- Security updates for Friday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (bind9, expat, firefox-esr, mediawiki, and unzip), Fedora (qemu and thunderbird), Oracle (webkit2gtk3), SUSE (ardana-ansible, ardana-cobbler, ardana-tempest, grafana, openstack-heat-templates, openstack-hor…
- 2 days ago 23 Sep 22, 1:54pm -
- [$] Safer flexible arrays for the kernel
At the 2022 LinuxSecurity Summit Europe (LSS EU), Gustavo A. R. Silva reported in onwork he has been doing on "flexible" arrays in the kernel. While thesearrays provide some ... flexibility ... they are also a source of bugs,which can often res…
- 2 days ago 22 Sep 22, 10:45pm -
- Rust 1.64.0 released
Version1.64.0 of the Rust language has been released. Changes include thestabilization of the IntoFuturetrait, easier access to C-compatible types, the availability ofrust-analyzer viarustup, and more.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 22, 2:51pm -
- Security updates for Thursday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (e17, fish, mako, and tinygltf), Fedora (mingw-poppler), Mageia (firefox, google-gson, libxslt, open-vm-tools, redis, and sofia-sip), Oracle (dbus-broker, kernel, kernel-container, mysql, and nodejs and nod…
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 22, 1:25pm -
- [$] LWN.net Weekly Edition for September 22, 2022
The LWN.net Weekly Edition for September 22, 2022 is available.
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 22, 1:14am -
- [$] Two visions for the future of sourceware.org
Public hosting systems for free software have come and gone over the yearsbut one of them, Sourceware, has beensupporting the development of most of the GNU toolchain for nearly25 years. Recently, an application was made to bringSourceware unde…
- 3 days ago 21 Sep 22, 10:41pm -
- GNOME 43 released
Version 43 of the GNOME desktop environment has been released; see the release notes for details.This latest GNOME release comes with improvements across the board,ranging from a new quick settings menu, a redesigned Files app, andhardware s…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 22, 6:11pm -