- newSecurity updates for Monday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (bind9, elfutils, flac, ghostscript, libapache-mod-jk, lldpd, and roundcube), Fedora (linux-firmware, roundcubemail, and thunderbird), Mageia (curl, file, firefox/thunderbird, ghostpcl, libtommath, and node…
- 2 hours ago 25 Sep 23, 2:12pm -
- newKernel prepatch 6.6-rc3
The third 6.6 kernel prepatch is out fortesting.Unusually, we have a large chunk of changes in filesystems. Part ofit is the vfs-level revert of some of the timestamp handling thatneeds to soak a bit more, and part of it is some xfs fixes. W…
- 10 hours ago 25 Sep 23, 6:19am -
- Saturday's stable kernel updates
The6.5.5,6.1.55,5.15.133,5.10.197,5.4.257,4.19.295, and4.14.326stable kernel updates have all been released; each contains another set ofimportant fixes.
- 2 days ago 23 Sep 23, 11:10am -
- [$] User-space spinlocks with help from rseq()
Back in May, André Almeida presented somework toward the creation of user-space spinlocks using adaptivespinning. At that time, the work was stalled because there is, in Linux,currently no way to quickly determine whether a given thread is actua…
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 12:39pm -
- Security updates for Friday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (gsl), Fedora (dotnet6.0 and dotnet7.0), Oracle (libwebp), Slackware (bind, cups, and seamonkey), SUSE (kernel and rust, rust1.72), and Ubuntu (cups, flac, gnome-shell, imagemagick, and python3.5).
- 3 days ago 22 Sep 23, 12:28pm -
- [$] Revisiting the kernel's preemption models (part 1)
All that Ankur Arora seemingly wanted to do with thispatch set was to make the process of clearing huge pages on x86systems go a little faster. What resulted was an extensive discussion onthe difficulties of managing preemption correctly in the k…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 2:51pm -
- Security updates for Thursday
Security updates have been issued by Debian (mutt, netatalk, and python2.7), Fedora (chromium, golang-github-prometheus-exporter-toolkit, golang-github-xhit-str2duration, and golang-gopkg-alecthomas-kingpin-2), Oracle (dmidecode, frr, libwebp, open-v…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 9:44am -
- Stable kernel 5.10.196
The 5.10.196 stable kernel has beenreleased. It fixes a single regression:This release is only needed by any 5.10.y user that uses configfs, itresolves a regression in 5.10.195 in that subsystem. Note that manykernel subsystems use configfs fo…
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 8:29am -
- [$] LWN.net Weekly Edition for September 21, 2023
The LWN.net Weekly Edition for September 21, 2023 is available.
- 4 days ago 21 Sep 23, 6:54am -
- [$] Using the limited C API for the Python stdlib?
The "limited" C API for CPython extensions has been around for well over adecade at this point, but it has not seen much uptake. It is meant to giveextensions an API that will allow binaries built with it to be used formultiple versions of CPytho…
- 5 days ago 20 Sep 23, 4:35pm -